Yaz Blood Clots
Serious Yaz blood clot problems have been reported in women using the Yaz and Yasmin birth control pills. Blood clots including pulmonary embolism, DVT and stroke have been linked with the use of this relatively new contraceptive.
Yaz is considered a combination hormone contraceptive. It contains a combination of progestin (drospirenone) and estrogen (ethinyl estradiol). Fourth generation contraceptives such as Yaz and Yasmin using drospirenone have recently come under scrutiny from the consumer advocacy group Public Citizen. They list Yasmin as a Do Not Use drug for reasons including the risk of serious heart and other health problems.
Yaz and Blood Clots
The side effects of Yaz can increase based on several health risk factors and the age of the woman:
• women over 35 years old
• smoking more than 15 cigarettes a day
• high levels of blood cholesterol or fat
Some women with no previous health related issues or history of clots have experienced life threatening medical emergencies involving blood clots. These blood clots often develop in the legs and are referred to as deep vein thrombosis (DVT). However, Yaz blood clots can develop in many different areas of the body including the pelvis, eye, head, arm and lungs.
The following symptoms may indicate a potentially life-threatening problem associated with Yaz birth control:
• sharp chest pain, coughing blood, or sudden shortness of breath (possible clot in the lung)
• pain in the calf (back of lower leg; possible clot in the leg)
• crushing chest pain or heaviness in the chest (possible heart attack)
• sudden severe headache or vomiting, dizziness or fainting, problems with vision or speech, weakness, or numbness in an arm or leg (possible stroke)
• sudden partial or complete loss of vision (possible clot in the eye)
We represent all women suffering from Yaz DVT problems and other blood clot side effects on a contingency basis which means that there are never any legal fees unless we win compensation in your case. For a free no-obligation consultation please call toll free at or fill out our short online contact form and a Yaz blood clot lawyer will contact you to answer any of your questions.