Nuvaring Pulmonary Embolism
NuvaRing pulmonary embolism, also referred to as NuvaRing PE, is a serious side effect reported by women using this third-generation contraceptive. Venous thrombosis events have been linked to NuvaRing. Pulmonary embolism (PE), deep vein thrombosis (DVT), and ischemic strokes are some of the side effects being associated with NuvaRing.
Also called: Venous thromboembolism
A pulmonary embolism is a sudden blockage in a lung artery. The cause is usually a blood clot in the leg called a deep vein thrombosis that breaks loose and travels through the bloodstream to the lung. Pulmonary embolism is a serious condition that can cause
• Permanent damage to the affected lung
• Low oxygen levels in your blood
• Damage to other organs in your body from not getting enough oxygen
Half the people who have pulmonary embolism have no symptoms. If you do have symptoms, they can include shortness of breath, chest pain or coughing up blood. Symptoms of a blood clot include warmth, swelling, pain, tenderness and redness of the leg. The goal of treatment is to break up clots and help keep other clots from forming.
National Library of Medicine (NLM)
Venous Thrombosis Key Facts
• Venous thrombosis is the name for a blood clot that forms in a vein. This type of clot can slow or prevent blood flowing through the veins, causing swelling and pain. In most cases, venous thrombosis occurs in the “deep veins” in the legs, thighs, or pelvis; this is called a deep vein thrombosis, or DVT.
• If the blood clot breaks off from the leg, it can travel to other organs; this is called an embolism. If the clot lodges in the lung, it is called pulmonary embolism (PE). PE is a serious medical condition that can cause death.
• The most common signs of DVT are pain, redness, and swelling in the lower leg (calf). The most common signs of a PE are breathing problems, chest pain, and coughing up blood.
• The most common treatment of DVT or PE uses a blood thinning medication. Blood thinners do not actually make the blood thin, but rather help to prevent more blood clots. The medication may be taken as a pill or as an injection.
• Blood thinning medications increase the chance of bleeding, even after small injuries (eg, from cutting the skin while shaving). Special care is needed to lower the risk of serious bleeding.
• Anyone who has a DVT or PE has a higher risk of developing another blood clot in the future. Signs to watch for include new pain in the leg or chest, trouble breathing, or swelling in the lower leg. You should call a doctor or nurse immediately if you have any of these problems.